Sunday, April 16, 2006

Master Yoda's Blog Going on Indefinite Hiatus

After much consideration, soul-searching, and calling in to at least a dozen radio talk shows for advice (which is the best place to get advice), I've decided to end Master Yoda's Blog with the April 20th post, the one year anniversary for that blog.

It may or may not be the permanent end of the blog. It may just be the start of a long sabbattical. I may come back to it later. Or maybe not. If there's one thing about me, it's that I am committed to being indecisive, unless I later decide to be decisive.

There are several reasons I have come to this decision. I won't list them all here. I will tell you that much like the daughters in those disturbing feminine hygiene commercials, Master Yoda's Blog has long had that "not so fresh feeling". That's not to say I've been running out of ideas recently. I "ran out of ideas" around post 75. I can keep writing about how Obi-wan's a Cheeto-obsessed redneck, and how Windu is a neurotic girlie-man. But's it's gotten a little stale. I'd like to think when Master Yoda's Blog started, I was doing some things with it you didn't see other bloggers doing. But now it's gotten pretty formulaic. So I think this is a good place to stop.

What have I got planned for the last few days of the blog? Not much. Look for Yoda to have at least one "flash forward" where he will meet the other Young Skywalker. And I plan a special gift for all of my readers on the April 20th post. Hopefully, that will come to fruition. What I have planned will take a lot of work, so I'm not making any promises.

In any event, I won't be leaving the Blogospere entirely. I hope to post more regularly on Bill Johnson's Blog, maybe post another story on Bill Johnson's Fiction. I'm also working on this project. If I go through with it, it will probably start in September when the new TV season starts. It will be a place for episode re-caps, reviews, and celebrity news. I hope you'll stop by.

In the mean time, if you feel you'll be missing your daily Star Wars fix, please check out the blogs listed in the left side-bar of Master Yoda's Blog. There's some real goodies in there. Also, you might want to check out, if you haven't already, Captain Picard's Blog (that author's take on the Enterprise crew is as nutty as my take on Yoda and the rest of the Jedi) and Professor Xavier's Blog (he mixes some great action-packed narrative prose with wickedly subtle dry humor).

I anticipate there may be questions, so let me answer a few of them here:

Q: Since you're quitting Master Yoda's Blog, would you mind if I started my own Yoda blog?
A: It's a free country Blogosphere. Yoda belongs to Mr. Lucas anyway, and I didn't ask his permission before I started my blog.

Q: Can I take over Master Yoda's Blog?
A: No, Hades no.

Q: Boxers or briefs?
A: Boxer-briefs, the best of both worlds, baby! (...and the perfect choice for the indecisive man).

If you've ever had any questions about Master Yoda's Blog, feel free to post them in the comments to this post. I'll be happy to answer them.

Anyway, I want to say a big "Thank You!" to all of you who regularly read Master Yoda's Blog, especially those of you who read it every day. It is really rewarding to have done something that others enjoyed. I thank all of you for your comments and support along the way.

***Note: My last post will be the one dated April 20th, but as you may have noticed, my posts lately have been dated a day behind the actual date. So the last post will actually appear on the 21st in the Western Hemisphere. For those of you on the other side of the world, it may actually be the 22nd. I guess. I always get confused when it comes to time zones around the world. Maybe you've already seen it. What did I write? Was it any good?

Sunday, April 16, 2006   Bookmark in Del.icio.us  | |   Digg Story  | |   Slashdot This Story

26 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So sad to see it go, man, but good luck with your other projects! Can you link me on Yoga's blog? If you would,I'd be thankful.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Vegeta said...

Farewell, Also I wish you good luck on your other projects too.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

But Bill, we don't care about your real life, we want to hear more about Yoda's!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

I'm gonna miss Master Yoda's Blog.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that I'm going to have a Yoda's Blog withdrawal.

What am I going to do with all this free time? *bites nails*

The rest of the Padawans said: "Study? Shower? Sleep? and Eat?"

10:22 AM  
Blogger Professor Xavier said...

Aw, now I feel all maudlin. This was the first blog I started reading. It's my first stop when I make my rounds. I realize it's a lot of work doing something this regularly creative and funny but I'm going to be sad to see Yoda's blog go.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the Prof. Yoda's Blog was the reason I started mine. *sniff* I'll be sad to see it go.

12:54 PM  
Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

*mournful music in the background*

So, this is how blogger dies, with thunderour applause.

(could not reist the Padme line)

1:16 PM  
Blogger SHI said...

We will miss you Master Yoda

2:26 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

One of the earliest blogs I read, Master Yoda's Blog was.

2:56 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

Sorry to hear that Yoda has gotten writer's block, but I can understand needing a break. Guess I'll have to change my addiction to the Stupid Intern's blog instead.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sobbing* Now I have no reason to get on the computer. I'll miss Yoda's blog.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you mind if I wrote a fan fiction of Star Wars that uses some of the stuff from Yoda's Blog? I would give you credit of course.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Amanda,

Go on with your bad self! (In other words, I wouldn't mind at all.)

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just recently started reading Master Yoda's Blog; stumbled onto it accidentally. I talk about it all the time and try to get as many ppl as I can to check it out, so I too will miss it when it's over. Is there any way to have ALL the blogs posted on the site, if they're not already? I'd love to check them all out. Thanks for the laughs, good luck with the future.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Anonymous - if you look down near the bottom right-hand side, you'll see the Archives of the blog.

Bill, Master Yoda will definitely be missed. I've been a reader since the beginning and greatly enjoyed it. :) However, I'm very excited about reading more of your fiction and "regular blog" posts. :)

Thanks for all of the hard work you've put into Master Yoda's Blog, and I hope someday it will return for an encore performance. :)

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. I can't believe you're actually doing it.. :(
This was the only blog I read..
You gave the everyday dose of laugh to everyone.. :P
Really sad you're quiting.. I hope you continue some day..

Thanks for all the time you spent just to make us laugh.

(by the way, you could start updating this blog more regularly too)

12:10 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

I am so sad! This was one of the first blogs I ever read. I found it in May of last year from the Darth Vader Blog that ended the day before EP III was released. Someone had posted the URL for it in the comments section. I read it and was hooked. I shall miss it dreadfully.

You could always do a Yoda visits...section and write about Yoda's adventures with his blogfriends. Kind of like an intergalactic Road Rules thing.

Master Yoda will live on in memory and in the Force.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so sad to see it go. Gave me something to look forward to when I've been stressed out lately.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Thanks, everyone.

um...fan?, I hope to post on this blog more regularly after the Yoda blog closes. The Yoda blog is so time-consuming that it is hard to work on it and any other project at the same time. I hope you'll enjoy the posts here.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Dinorider d'Andoandor said...

oH What a pity!... you've made fans even in the southern hemisphere... I can swear.
Greetings from Peru

2:41 PM  
Blogger Jedi Healer said...

I know your happy but I still miss you!

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me, am I sensing a blogger withdrawal here?

Do yourself a favor will ya? Take a little vacation. Go to the mountains like the stupid intern has. Take a friend. Eat and drink and just have a good time.

Or else be miserable.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you guys are sad and depressed. It will go away you will see.

*starts taking pills while hands are shaking.*

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will miss you Yoda. Bye bye.

1:01 AM  
Blogger F0rerunn3r said...

I stumbled upon Yoda's blog 5 minutes ago... & I've been a fan ever since.
Sorry to hear that the stuff of legend will soon just be legend.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home